Saturday, June 25, 2011

The Mind Can be a Terrible Thing

The other night, I was sitting at my computer going through some of my music and I came across a song by Casting Crowns that I hadn't heard in a while. The name of the song is "Slow Fade", and it talks about how, the journey from "living right" to living in sin, is not always a quick transition, but more often then not, it happens so slowly that we don't realize it's happening to us. I stopped the song on one part and played it over to myself a few times as I thought about it's meaning. The sentence says, "The journey from your mind to your hand is shorter then your thinking. Be careful if you think you stand, you just might be sinking." As I listened to that little piece of the song a few times, I began to think about something that John said in, First John the 3rd chapter. "Whosoever hateth his brother is a murderer." Now I know at first that doesn't seem to tie together with the song, and I wondered myself why I had thought of this scripture, until I began think about how our mind can be a playground for the Devil. We used to sing the song when we were kids called "Don't let the Devil Ride." In the song we teach our kids that if we let the Devil ride, he'll want to drive. The thing I wonder is, do we understand what that even means. Back to our Minds. As I listened to the song and thought about what John wrote, I realized why he said if we hate our brother, we are murders. The thing is, if the devil is allowed to play with our minds, we our more likely to do what he wants us to do. Hence, the words in the song, "The journey from your minds to your hands, is shorter then your thinking." If we think on things that we shouldn't, we are giving the Devil the opportunity he needs to defile us. The easiest way to stay away from sin, is just to never allow yourself to think about it. Think About It!