Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Little Children

A couple of days ago my 4 year old son decided to play the boss all day. He was telling his little sister where to go, where to sit, what to play with, and how to play with it. I let it go for a little while, because it wasn't bothering me or her, and he wasn't getting out of hand. But after while, she decided she didn't like it anymore and got upset. My son decided that it was time to be a little more bossy. So, I got upset, and got on to him. I told him he wasn't in charge of anyone, and that I would tell her what to do if she needed to do anything. Almost as soon as I started getting on to him, he started crying and apologizing. I stopped mid-sentence, of something I was saying to him, and starting thinking about something Jesus said in Matthew the 18th chapter. He told us to become as little children, or we would not enter the kingdom of heaven. As I thought of what Jesus said, I had to laugh a little. I could see God in my place, and me in my sons place, with the same type of events playing out. Me trying to control some situation that wasn't mine to handle, and then getting upset when I thought people wasn't listening well enough. The funny thing is, I wouldn't be so quick to apologize if it was me. See, we are all Gods children, he is our father, and we have to learn to let him be in control. We're not in charge of anyone.